Today BTRC from Belarus has open submissions for their 2018 Junior Eurovision national selection. The Belarusian broadcaster will be using once again an external selection method to select their entrant for this year´s contest. Belarus is one of the two countries that have participated ever since the beginning of the competition in 2003, along with The Netherlands.
To be admitted to this year’s auditions, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- The contestant must be aged 9-14 as of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest day (25 November) and be a citizen of the Republic of Belarus or a foreign citizen/stateless person permanently residing in the Republic of Belarus for at least 2.5 years.
- The contestant must be the author of the song lyrics and/or music and/or arrangement and can be assisted by music professionals and other experts in creating the lyrics, music and arrangement.
- The song must have a duration of 2.45 to 3.00 minutes.
- The contest song lyrics must be written in the Belarusian or Russian languages with music which has not been previously commercially released and performed publicly until 1 May 2018. However, it can include a 40% of foreign languages.
- The selection participant (or their legal representative in case the participant has not attained the age of 14 years) must be the sole copyright owner of the song or have the right of joint ownership of the song if a group of performers participates in the selection.
The deadline for sending applications is on 29 June 2018.
Following the National Selection results, a professional jury will select seven to ten contenders for the final show, which be held live no later than 15 September 2018. The winner to represent Belarus at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018 will be selected by the votes of the jury and TV viewers.
Helena Meraai represented Belarus at Junior Eurovision 2017 with the song “I am the one”, she achieved a 5th place. The country has won the competition twice, in 2005 and 2007, and remains one of the most successful countries in the history of the contest having also hosted the 2010 edition.