The first act for Melodifestivalen 2018 has been revealed yesterday through the annual competition P4 Nästa, held by Sveriges Radio.
P4 Nästa is a contest that involves 25 regional radio stations, where each of them pick an artist or a band to represent them. A jury, appointed by Sveriges Radio, picks the 8 finalists who compete in the final. The winner, apart from getting his song aired on the radio, gets also a spot in the upcoming Melodifestivalen and has a chance to represent Sweden in Eurovision.
Stiko Per Larsson won this year’s contest with the song “Kumpaner”, beating 7 other acts. You can see the 8 finalists below:
- “Kumpaner (Vi är som)” – Stiko Per Larsson (P4 Dalarna)
- “That´s when we all come falling down” – MIAH (P4 Jönköping)
- “Drive” – Chris L Svensson (P4 Kristianstad)
- “If this is love” – Sisanda (P4 Jämtland)
- “On and on” – Frontback (P4 Kronoberg)
- “Skyskrapor” – Maija HomHom (P4 Stockholm)
- “Friday night club escape” – Michi (P4 Malmöhus)
- “Since” – Jo’ & Eliah (P4 Uppland)
The final was held in Crusellhallen in Konsert & Kongress of Linköping and was broadcasted live. You can listen again to the broadcast here by clicking on the blue button on the right that says “LYSSNA”.
Stiko Per Larsson is 38 years old and is a songwriter and singer. He has released 5 albums and 4 EPs as well as many singles. Every year since 2007 he does “walking tours” where he walks from one city to another and plays music in every stop he makes, raising money for charity.
The submission period for Melodifestivalen will open on September 1st and close on 18th of the same month at 17:59 CET. The cities in which the contest will take place are yet to be announced.