On December 11th 2022 the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2022 will be held in the capital city of Armenia, Yerevan. The venue for this year’s Junior Eurovision is the “Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concerts Complex” in Yerevan.
Not a lot is known
We do not know a whole lot about this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest. We do know that there are about nine countries that have confirmed that they will participate, and that there are quite a lot of countries who do not want to compete in the 2022 contest, but might return for the contest of another year.
Some countries will return to Junior Eurovision this year, and others will not; below you will find the countries which will return.
- North Macedonia: Last year the North Macedonian group Dajte Muzika came in 9th in Paris (France) with their song “Green Forces”. This year North Macedonia will select their song internally.
- The Netherlands: In Paris, last year, the Dutch finished last (19th) when Ayana performed her heart-felt ballad “Mata Sugu Aō Ne”, but they will be back in 2022. The Netherlands will have a televised national junior final on September 24th 2022 in Rotterdam.
- Spain: In 2022 Spain finished 15th when Levi Dìaz performed “Reìr” in Paris, and they will return for the 2022 contest. The Spanish representative will be chosen internally.
- Portugal: This country finished 11th in the junior contest of 2021 with Simão Oliveira’s song “O Rapaz”, and they will try again for a higher ranking in 2022. How Portugal will choose their representative is yet unknown.
- Kazakhstan: They debuted in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest of 2021 in Paris (France), and this year Kazakhstan intends to be part of the contest again. Kazakhstan has yet to be invited by the EBU to participate, as this country is not a full member of this organization.
- Poland: Poland will return for the contest of 2022. Their representative will be chosen through a TV format that is called “Szanza na sukces”, the casting for this TV show is already in full swing. Last year Poland finished 2nd with the song “Somebody” by Sara James, who nowadays makes a huge splash on America’s Got Talent.
- France: This country will return for JESC 2022. Last year French Enzo came in 3rd with his song “Tic Tac”.
- Ireland: The country of Ireland will return to this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest. They have confirmed. Last year Maiú Levi Lawlor finished in 18th place with the song “Saor”.
- Bulgaria: Another country that will return to the junior contest of 2022 is Bulgaria. In 2021 Denislava and Martin finished 16th with the song “Voice of Love”.
- Italy: This country will return after finishing 10th in 2021 when Elisabetta Lizza ended sang “Specchio (Mirror on the Wall)”. There is no news yet about the selection method of Italy for this year’s Junior Eurovision.
- Malta: The isle of Malta will compete again in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest. Last year Malta finished 12th in Paris, France. Malta will organize a live final which will take place on October 2nd 2022.
The countries below rule out a 2022 participation, but you never know in the world of Junior Eurovision, they might return some year.
- San Marino: The last time that San Marino competed in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest was 6 years ago, in 2015, in Sofia, Bulgaria. Their best placing was in 2013 when they finished 10th.
- Switzerland: This country competed only once in the contest back in 2004.
- Romania: Unfortunately Romania will not return to the junior contest in 2022. The last participation of Romania in the junior version of Eurovision was in 2009 when Ioana Bianca Anuța finished last with the song “Ai puterea în mâna ta”.
- Montenegro: The country of Montenegro participated twice in the junior contest. The first time was in 2014, during which they ended up in 14th place.
- Slovenia: The last time Slovenia competed in the junior version of the contest was back in 2015, they withdrew the year after. Slovenia might return for the contest of 2022, but that is not sure yet, we are eagerly awaiting their decision.
- Belgium: Also Belgium will not return to the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2022. The best result of Belgium was in 2009 when they finished 4th when Laura Omloop sang “Zo verliefd (Yodelo)”.
- Lithuania: The last time Lithuania participated in the contest was in 2012; they will not return in 2022.
- Moldova: Moldova was in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest between 2011 and 2013. They will not return this year, but they keep the door open for a future participation.
- Denmark: Their last participation was all the way back in 2005, and they will not return this year.
- Latvia: This country last participated back in 2011, but rules out a 2022 return.
- Wales: The country of Wales rules out a return to the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2022. Their last participation was in 2019 when Erin Mai sang “Calon yn Curo”.
- Greece: Greece will not return to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2022. Greece participated in the first junior contest of 2003 up until 2008.
More news coming up
If there is any type of news when it comes down to the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2022 in Yerevan (Armenia), we will keep you in the loop. For now information about the theme, logo, any other type of news surrounding this contest are nihil or scarce. We hope for more information soon!
One thought on “UPDATED: Junior Eurovision 2022: What we know so far ”
Please let your readers know when…
Germany FINALLY confirms Junior Eurovision 2022 participation
Norway has a change of heart and does an online national final
Sweden makes a U-turn
United Kingdom is back at Junior Eurovision regardless of EBU member (BBC or ITV)