TG4 has just broadcast the first semi-final of the Irish national selection for the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2017. The show featured eight candidates but only Muireann McDonnell with her song “Súile Glasa” went through to the final after a sing-off of against Judy Langan.
These are the eight entrants that performed at today’s show:
- Muireann McDonnell – “Súile Glasa”
- Hayley Keogh – “Is Cuimhin Liom”
- Junior Sensation – “Can Os Ard”
- Judy Langan “Draíocht An Cheoil” (Runner-up)
- Rachel Haughney – “Táim Níos Láidre”
- Kane Dunne – “Ar Chuala Tú?”
- Eloise Judge – “Domhan Foirfe”
- Amy Hehir – “Féieacán i mo chroí”
Junior Eurovision Eire 2017 is hosted by Eoghan McDermott, while the resident judges, Fiachna Ó Braonáin, Dustin ‘The Turkey’ and Bláthnaid Treacy, are joined by a guest judge from Ireland’s Eurovision past in each show. The guest judge of the first semi-final was Brendan Murray, who represented Ireland at this year’s Eurovision.
As in previous editions, all shows have been filmed months ago, and they will be broadcast pre-recorded. That means the winner has been already working for months on preparations for the international song contest. The 32 entrants that will be featured on the live shows were selected through live auditions held nationwide. They competed with self-written original songs in the Irish language.
First Semi-Final – October 22nd
- Second Semi-Final – October 29th
- Third Semi-Final – November 5th
- Fourth Semi-Final – November 12th
- Final – November 19th
What do you think about today’s winner? Let us know in comments!