The 2021 edition of the Malta Junior Eurovision Song Contest (MJESC) has just finished with the triumph of Ike and Kaya. They were selected to represent Malta at Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2021 with their song “My Home”.
The decision came as a result of the combination of 50% viewers votes, sent by SMS, and 50% expert jury votes. The winning song was formed by Cyprian Cassar, Owen Leuellen and MUXU.
The lineup of the Malta’s national selection was composed by the following 12 participants:
- Emma Briffa – “My Angel’s Calling”
- Kylie Micallef – “Keep Your Drama”
- Maria Curmi – “Wild And Free”
- Yulan Law – “Change”
- Eksenia Sammut – “Building”
- Amelia Kalabic – “Dear World”
- Rih and Bri – “Drops Like Fire”
- Ella Raina – “Limitless”
- Ike y Kaka – “My Home” (Winners by the combination of the Jury and Televoting results)
- Marija Djinovic – “Magic”
- Yulan Law – “On My Way” (Jury Favourite)
- Mycha, Kylle y Denzel Jo – “Running Free” (Televoting Favourites)
The show started at 21:00 CEST and was broadcast live on TVM from the Robert Samut Hall, an historic Maltese building that was originally a church, which is now a cultural and art interpretation center.
MALTA AT JUNIOR EUROVISION
Malta was one of the founding countries of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2003 and since then, the country has participated 16 times, taking a small break in 2011 and 2012.
Among their participations, they won the contest twice, in 2013 with the song “The star” by Gaia Cauchi and two years later in 2015 with the song “Not my soul” by the well-known singer Destiny, who has also represented the country in the last edition of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 in Rotterdam with the song “Je me casse”, reaching the seventh position.
Last year at Junior Eurovision Malta was represented by Chanel Monseigneur, achieving an 8th place with her song “Chasing sunsets”.